Slow Cooked Oxtail
- 4 Grass-fed Oxtail
- 2 tbs coconut oil/ghee/butter/tallow/lard
- 4 small brown onion - quatered
- 4 garlic cloved - roughly chopped
- 1 cup passata
- 3 punnet of tomatoes
- 1 tin tomatoes
- handful capers - rinsed
- 6-8 anchonvy fillets
- 1 cup stock (veg/beef)
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt
Hope you had a restful and fun Easter holiday.
This is a recipe inspired by my dad, who used to love cooking oxtail at home in the UK…I’ll always remember the smell radiating from the kitchen.
Oxtail is an affordable cut of meat and with heaps of connective tissue and fat makes for a tasty dish.
This is how it rolled:
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees
- Heat the oil on a high heat
- Add the oxtail and brown them, ensuring you get all sides.
- Once browned remove from the heat and transfer to a baking tray.
- Deglaze the pan with stock and add to the tray
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the baking tray, stir, cover with foil and chuck in the oven
- Drop the temp to 140 degrees
- Cook for 5-6 hours or until meat falls away from the bone
- Remove from the heat. If you need to reduce the sauce a little do so on a high heat with a large fry pan