Pan Fried Sirloin on smashed avo and greens
- 1 sirloin steak (rump)
- 1 tsp tallow (butter)
- 2 bunches broccolini - trimmed and cut into segments (2-3 cms)
- 3-4 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 lemon - juiced
- 1 ripe avocado - mashed with a fork
- 1 lime - juiced
- sea salt
- black pepper
How have you been? Well Sydney is finally warming up after what seemed like an ice age had began. I’ve been super busy working on new projects but rest assured I’ve been conjuring up new recipes to share.
Today’s recipe was inspired by my local butcher closing down – for years I’ve been shopping at GRUB which is an ethical butcher in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney and one that provides some wonder meat and offal. Needless to say I’ll miss it.
The recipe is pretty straight forward but with the right cooking technique it’s very easy to bring the dish to life.
Here’s how it rolled:
- Ensure the steak is at room temperature
- Heat the oil in a fry pan on high heat
- Coat the steak in some sea salt and black pepper
- Place the steak in the pan for 3 minutes on each side for rare, (feel free to turn a number of times within that time)
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest
- In a saucepan bring some salted water up to boil
- Once boiling drop in the greens and remove from the heat
- Remove after 3-4 minutes and drain well. Add the lemon juice and olive oil & season
- In small mixing bowl mash the avocado, lime juice and season
- Cut the steak into strips and place onto of the avo smash
The acidity in the avo smash helps to cut through the fattiness of the steak – yuuuuum!